Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Our Future Is Staring Us Down.


And there we have it folks. Our future is staring us down. We are in a gun fight with yet but knives. 70 plus years of great stories are going down the drain as if they never even happened and we are stuck with what we thought were collectibles but now possibly outside of monetary means just garbage. 


But ask yourselves in or own world where even presidential elections are stolen and voted on based on what the lesser evil really maybe, ask yourselves, what is the lesser evil here? 


Are we truly ready for a reboot? Or is it just going to be crammed down our throats like Obamacare (Which I actually support but feel is wrong as the majority doesn't.


DC has done some very radical things in the past. Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis and all the meaningless deaths and everything aside doesn't even match the sorrow I will feel once the seminal books Action and Detective are renumbered. 


I am starting to lose faith in DC Comics creative direction. Don't get me wrong. I have loved a lot of the stuff that most people hated. I loved all the recent crisis's and the now Batman Inc and evolution of the characters in general. 


It's almost a blasphemy in itself this renumbering of sorts. I can't believe they are just going to effectively spit in the legacy books like Action and Detective. I mean, they didn't renumber them after COIE, IC, FINAL CRISIS or any other time. 


Has anyone else noticed that their ideas keep on getting more and more radical? Infinite Crisis was only the beginning. They didn't do it right enough and the editing team slipped up. How many times can we trust the guys saying everything is fixed. 

I remember the quote that there must be a crisis every so often to keep things fresh. I am of that notion as well. However, this isn't a crisis. This is armageddon. And OUR heroes from how it looks don't even have a chance to save us from the blood red skies. We instead have impostors. Our DCU is hinged upon dopplegangers and if I may borrow from the good doctor have not's and never were's. 



This could seriously sink the ship. If they have to write an open letter to retailers explaining themselves and telling them not to panic they I think it's a friggin sign that someone needs to step back and reconsider this nonsense.

This is just as bad as calling the 2005 Doctor Who series "series 1" yet there were 40 plus years of history behind it.

I don't mind the other renumberings but this is just foolish and unneeded. I mean, take these books out of regular continuity and make it a LOTDK status book if you must. But just DON'T renumber it.

I for one am so tired of DC playing with their fans in teasing them on certain things and then 6 months later deciding to grow a pair and actually do it. It completely takes away from the quality of the story itself.

A perfect example is the return of Jason. I for one believe that it would have been perfect had he actually been Hush instead of it being Tommy Elliot. They teased us and then 6 months down the line they brought him back in a really cheap and predictable way.

Or if they wanted to reboot everything why didn't they just bring everyone back from the dead in Blackest Night? We could have had tons of great new stories with older characters yet continuity still intact. 



As I said before. Knives will never defeat guns. The only way we can truly win is by a voice. The voice of the many. And may our voice be a purging fire. 


I hope others will not follow this blog but CREATE YOUR OWN! 




EDITORS NOTE:


To prove to you that this works I would only direct you to Batman-On-Film.com. Bill "Jett" Raimey started with a little site called Jett360's Batman 5 site. He got us our Nolan Batman franchise. A posting of a picture by Lee Bermejo was the basis for Heath Ledger's Joker. And now he is a guest at events, speaks at colleges, and is the leader of our cause for true to form DCU and other comic movies as a whole. 


Without Batman Begins we wouldn't have had X-Men: Origins. 

This proves that the industry is willing to listen if there is the right voice speaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment